Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Saturday, August 29, 2015

#RRBC's #SPOTLIGHT #Author #BlogTour: Larry Hyatt!


Excerpt From Beauregawd
By: Larry Hyatt
Beauregawd is Louisiana’s oldest politician. He was born 1901, has been a State Senator since the 30’s. He remembers it all, his way. He is being interviewed in his office below the Louisiana State Capitol by a college student television reporter. He’s at his desk. The cameras have been rolling:

Sherman: What are you? Twenty years old? Son, I go way back.
Jay: How far is “way back?”
Sherman: Well. Let’s see. I remember Bobby Jindal when he believed in Kris Kringle. I remember Lindy Boggs when they called her Windy Lindy. Why, I can remember Huey Long… when he was short.
Jay: What did you think of Huey Long?
Sherman: Huey Long? Why, you could say he was the “muther” of all Louisiana politics. But, you’d be wrong. Being the good looking, dapper man he was I bet he was the father of a great many.
Jay: What are you trying to say, sir?
Sherman: Oh, he was a pistol. He fired from the hip. Share the wealth, “Every man a king.” He was gonna give everyone in the state a pension and a radio. Why, that’s good stumpin’ son. The majority of people back then didn’t have a pot, much less something to pee in.
Jay: But he built this building.
Sherman: He sure did, In the middle of a depression. The tallest state capitol, some say built as a shrine to himself and he walked these halls like he owned them. Funny how he built em’ and this is where they shot ‘em.
Jay: You said “they”. Do you believe it was a conspiracy?
Sherman: Him, they. That was such a long time ago, son. How do they say, the legend has taken a life of its own. I guess we’ll never know the truth. Of course today, everybody at the scene of the crime would have had a cell phone, and took a bunch of pictures. Why, I remember when the cell phone first came out. I thought everybody was running around here all surprised. They were putting their hands upside their faces. I was thinking, “Why is everybody always surprised around here? What in tar nation is going on?” Then, I realized, everyone was speaking on a dog gone telephone.”
Jay: Did you get along with Huey Long?
Sherman: With Huey you either did or you didn’t. He did spark me as a young man into helping the good people of Louisiana, but I was naive and uninformed, didn’t understand how the Louisiana political machine worked and now it’s changed so much.
Jay: And how is that sir?
Sherman: Well, son, there was a time you boys let us be politicians, good or bad. We served the people. Sometimes we got it right. Sometimes we didn’t but we made decisions. We weren’t always looking over our shoulder trying to get reelected. “Don’t say this, it could tick off the baby boomers.” “Don’t say that. The majority will be up in arms, “Sway the Democrats.” “Please the Republicans.” Whatever happen to voting for what’s right, for freedom, the right to live and raise your children, give them more than what you had. That seemed to be more important back then. The 21st century is so much more stressful. That should be how they say…alleviated.
Jay: Alleviated how?
Sherman: Well first, elect politicians who rightly serve the people. It’s become so expensive to run that the people who are born to serve, the folks who have the need, the deep feeling inside themselves, that yearning to help, like the doctors need to heal the sick. Those people who want to serve need to get others to give them money, plenty money. Why does a man have to spend millions of dollars to lead his fellow man to better things? Of course today it has to be done. I just wish it wasn’t so.
Jay: You said lead his fellow man.
Sherman: That’s right. If you want to serve your fellow man, find me a parking spot that’s close to the state capitol. This state needs politicians who can lead, men and women who can grab the bull by the horns, the tiger by the tail, the bear by the- (Sherman looks at the camera) … Well for mixed company I’ll say, by the fur, Heh, Heh, Heh.
Jay: How many children do you have, sir?
Sherman: Why in that department, I’d like to think I was a busy man. I have eleven children from five marriages. So far I’ve been a widower, a divorcee, and estranged. Right now I’d saw I’m inclined.
Jay: You mean engaged.
Sherman: No. I’m inclined, to never be married again.
Jay: So you’re single?
Sherman: That’s right, forever and ever amen.
Jay: Could you tell us about your marriages, sir.
Sherman: Well, I will tell you this. I fell in love with the most beautiful woman in world back in 1923. I was 22, right out of the Centenary College of Louisiana, up there in Shreveport. One of my great grandsons is a professor there. He’s a Methodist minister. I guess you can say, finally, religion took. Anyway, I remember the day I met the love of my life, a most beautiful girl… It was a 4th of July picnic. (Sherman starts to look off and reminisce.) It was nice and sunny that day. For some reason it wasn’t hot. There I was, on campus, standing nervously by a large shade tree waiting for a friend. That’s when Abigail Renfro, sashayed up to me in a white linen dress…She had the colors red, and blue tied around her waist…Her long, blonde hair tied back in a pretty blue ribbon…She said to me, “You’re Sherman Beauregawd. I heard of you. You want to be a politician one day.” I said, ‘Not only that pretty lady, I’m gonna be famous, and I’m gonna do things in this part of the country that no one has ever seen. I’m going to do it for this here state, and the people of Louisiana.’ She said, ‘Well, Mister Beauregawd, what makes you think you’re any better than anybody else?’ I said, ‘Cause I’m gonna have you by my side.’ The corners of her mouth turned up. Then, she smiled at me. It went through to my soul. The prettiest smile I had ever seen.
Jay: What happen?
Sherman: Oh, I married her, son. The prettiest girl in the world was in red, white, and blue, and on the 4th of July. With the fireworks going off that night, I couldn’t compete. I was gone’a come the goodnight kiss.
Jay: That sounds like a romantic first date.
Sherman: I loved her more than life itself, son... Twelve months later she died in child birth.
Jay: I’m very sorry to hear that.
Sherman: Yeah, it was sad. They didn’t have hospitals like they do now, and all those things doctors can do today. It was such a very long time ago… yet, it seems like yesterday.
Jay: Wait a minute. In Shreveport there is a huge woman’s hospital, The Beauregawd Women’s Clinic. It’s named after you?
Sherman: Yeah… Abigail, sure was pretty that day.
Jay: Now, you’ve also been divorced, haven’t you?
Sherman: Aww hell son, I’m a politician. I’ve made mistakes in my love life. I’ll tell you right now. You need a devoted woman to put up with her husband being away from home, a woman who believes in her husband serving for the better good, over one’s self. Politicians and their wives need thick skins. It’s hard putting up with lies from your opponents and people who want to trash your good family name. Remember son, when people trash your husband’s name, they’re trashing your children’s name. Not to mention, when people get a hold of lies and falsehoods, they mash it all up. Put it in a Cuisenaire and set that thing a going, round and round, till it mixes together and creates a perceived truth. The truth son, can set you free. An untruth can bring your family to its knees.



Author Bio:
Larry Hyatt has written radio comedy, sketch comedy and plays, produced television and radio, worked as a creative director for an arts and entertainment magazine, and published numerous humorous articles and essays. Originally from New Orleans he’s a former graduate of the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts and attended Loyola University’s School of Music as a vocalist, went into radio broadcasting, has been a nightclub in house entertainer (Where he did theatre in a bar), produced and hosted television shows for LCN-TV, and started an entertainment magazine called the “The Tri-Parish Navi-Gator,” featuring theatre, music, dinning and the arts in South Louisiana. He hosts “Larry Hyatt is the Morning” on C-96.7 KCIL Radio in Houma, La.

Book Blurb:
How to Reach for the American Dream… (And not get it), is the fictional, comedic account of the life of an entertainer who from childhood had what it took to “make it.” You’ll laugh, cry, and cheer him on as he struggles to achieve what only a select few can through his television kid show debut, glee clubs, remedial college studies, gaining weight as a “starving” artist, dating women out of his league, nightclub entertainer, and romps through radio, television, and publishing.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/How-Reach-American-Dream-Not-ebook/dp/B00FSKCGTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439568159&sr=8-1&keywords=larry+hyatt

Find Larry Online!
Twitter: @hyhattlarry
Facebook: www.facebook.com/larry.hyatt.967
Website: www.hyhatt.blogspot.com




4 comments:

  1. Very entertaining excerpt, Larry! Thanks for hosting, Mistral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by, John! :-)

      Delete
  2. An interesting look at the political life. I, too, wish they didn't spend so much money on stumping. Think of all the good things that could be accomplished with that money, rather than pouring it down the political drain.

    ReplyDelete