Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, March 16, 2015

K. K. Allen Interviewed By Mistral Dawn

Hey Everyone!!

K.K. Allen has been kind enough to join us today! :-)  K. K., can you tell us about yourself and how many books you have written?

KK: Hi, my name is K.K. Allen and I'm the author of The Summer Solstice Series. So far, two books in the series have been released—The Summer Solstice: Enchanted and The Equinox. My series is a essentially a Young Adult novel that all ages can appreciate. I enjoy writing Fantasy novels through the eyes of my main characters as I really feel that this first person experience allows my readers to enjoy every step of the journey as if they are the main character. 

Me:  That sounds like a lot of fun! :-)  What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

KK:  My latest book, The Equinox, was just released on December 10th and it's the follow up novel to The Summer Solstice: EnchantedThe Equinox explores the looming threat that my main characters and their peers face as a community. The world around Katrina Summer (protagonist) opens up as secrets are exposed and horrible occurrences strike the people of their town. The entire series is based off of an original mythology surrounding descendants of Ancient Greek gods and goddesses. 

Me:  Wow! Must have taken a lot of research!  What are you working on now?

KK:  I am currently working with a production team on the audio version of Enchanted. I'm also in the final stages of outlining the third book in the series, The Descendants.  

Me:  Busy, busy!  Are there any authors, or books, who have influenced you?

KK:  I read a diverse range of genres so I'm inspired by many...Contemporary Romance books are my number one reads of choice. Nicholas Sparks' books own my heart. I'm a sucker for a good love story, especially one that promotes old-fashioned / one-true love relationships. But I also love the recent great reads by John Green, Veronica Roth, etc.

Me:  I have to say I'm biased, romance is my favorite too! :-)  What are you reading now?

KK: I'm currently reading an Indie novel by Kylie Kaemke. I've heard wonderful things about her book, Heavy Hearts. I love supporting Indie authors. There's a lot of awesome buried treasures out there so I encourage all to give them a try. You just might be surprised by what you find.

Me:  You're right!! There are a lot of really great books out there that only suffer from not having the promotional reach of the big publishing houses! :-)  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

KK:  Expect to be surprised. You definitely want to pay this novel your full attention and enjoy every step of the journey without any expectations. I encourage my potential readers to not read the reviews because any spoiler could potentially ruin the experience of The Summer Solstice Series. It's really one surprise after the other. Expect for Enchanted (BOOK ONE) to set you up for the adventure that is The Equinox.

Me:  Oooo! A mystery! ;-)  What is your favorite part of being an author?

KK:  The answer to this question surprises me. Obviously I love writing, but I never expected to meet such an amazing network of writers, bloggers, and readers. Everyone is so supportive and incredible to one another. I really hope to help drive the Indie community to its fullest potential. Groups like #IndieBooksBeSeen are doing great things to help with this as well. It's all about creating opportunities for the community as a whole, rather than just ourselves. I love that there is such a great group of authors who believe in this as well.

Me:  You're right! The indie author community is really wonderful! :-)  Do you have a day job as well?

KK:  I do! I work full time and am a proud full time single mother to my handsome three-year old. Life is busy and rewarding.

Me:  Busy and happy, it sounds like. ;-)  What is the hardest and easiest part about being a writer?

KK:  Not getting to write full time is definitely the toughest part of being a writer. Not only that but the marketing alone takes up a significant part of my time. I'd love to focus fully on writing one day. The easiest part—writing :) 

Me:  I think all indie authors would agree with you about the marketing. :-)  What genre do you place your book in?

KK:  Fantasy as a general category. Sub categories include Urban, Paranormal, Coming of Age, and Greek Mythology.

Me:  Great! :-)  Anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

KK:  Readers and bloggers are everything to us authors, especially those of us who don't have the support of traditional publishing companies and literary agents. Reviews are the biggest gift that you can give to us. If you read a book, please review it to help give others a sense of why you enjoyed the book you just read. Help spread the word about our books, because without word of mouth, our books aren't visible. It surprises many that I chose to be Indie. It's not like I got a million rejections and decided to just self-publish. I'm an organized creative person by nature, which is basically unheard of, and I love the strategy that goes behind marketing my own books. Is it frustrating at times? YES. But is it fulfilling? YES. Would I love to be traditionally published and reach millions of readers rather than thousands? YES, PLEASE! 

Me:  Amen! :-)  And so all of these amazing, supportive folks can find your books, are there any links you'd like me to post?

KK: 

Email List: SayHello@KK-Allen.com


Wonderful! :-)  Thank you so much for joining us here today K. K.!  Everyone else, thank you too and please remember to check back next Monday for another interview!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Very good interview Mistral, i have read K.K book Summer of Solstice and i must say it is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete