Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, March 23, 2015

Anthony Donnelly Interviewed By Mistral Dawn

Hi Everyone!!

Today Anthony Donnelly is joining us! Can you tell us about yourself and how many books you have written, Anthony? :-)

Anthony:  That’s a fatal question to ask a writer, as I could write an entire book on the first part alone! I’m British by birth, so the humor comes with the territory, I’m afraid, but have lived almost my entire adult life abroad. I have been writing since I was in my early teens, and have been a published author for the past 15 years. I currently have seven published titles, but have written many, many more than that.

Me:  Ha! I love British humor.  One of the funniest actors ever, imo, was Sir Alec Guinness. Yeah, I know, who'da thunk it.  Good o'l Obi-Wan Kenobi himself. ;-)  Will you tell us about your latest book and what inspired it?

Anthony:  49q? The Enigma Continues is the title of my latest publication, which I’m excited to say is doing much better than I imagined it would. It was inspired out of sheer desperation. I’d spent almost 10 years pitching agents and publishers to no avail with my other works. In a last-ditch attempt (taking inspiration from Joyce) I set out to write the most elaborate, fantastical, crazy, and intricate work of fiction possible: 3 full-length novels, one movie, and a CD rock album, all adding to each other to make something bigger than the sum of it’s parts. It was a huge undertaking, and took over seven years to complete. I’ve released book two to commemorate 10 years since I finished the project.

Me:  Congratulations on your success!!! :-)  What are you working on now?

Anthony:  I have two writing projects in progress right now: one is a semi-autobiographical, humorous novel about my experiences in Costa Rica last year called Balls-deep In Paradise, and the other is a self-help companion guide to go with my inspirational parable The Shepherd I published late last year. 

Me:  Sounds like you're busy!  Are there any authors, or books, who have influenced you?

Anthony:  That’s a really hard question to answer. I’m not much of a follower, so I never had a favorite author growing up nor got into reading entire series of books and stories. I read what I liked, and stopped reading books that didn’t interest me. Since I have traveled a lot, I’d say I’m more influenced by the places I go to and the people I meet and interact with. I’m sure I’ve been influenced by what I’ve read, but I couldn’t really pin it down to a specific author.

Me:  How wonderful! Most of us do our traveling between the covers of books, you've done the really thing! :-) What are you reading now?

Anthony:  I’m reading a non-fiction book right now “Living Abroad In Costa Rica” by Erin van Rheenen since I’m doing research into my autobiographical novel set there. As I’ve become older, I tend to read much more non-fiction than fiction.

Me:  Getting another perspective, huh? We should all be so smart! :-) For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Anthony:  49q? is definitely NOT your average book. As I tell the potential reader, ‘You’ll either love it or hate it!’ It is very unconventional both from a stylistic and literary point of view. If you like books that make you think about what you’re reading, then this is for you, but if you just want  pulp fiction, this definitely isn't for you. If you want a safe bet, or something more uplifting and inspirational, read The Shepherd.

Me:  Cool!  What would you say is your favorite part of being an author?

Anthony:  I think most authors probably agree it’s the ability to design our own imaginary worlds to play in that’s the best part. Writing gives me the chance to live through my characters in my books, be a child again, and play!

Me:  That is fun!! :-) Do you have a day job as well?

Anthony:   Not really. I’ve worked for myself for the past 20 years, and I love what I do, so I don’t consider it a ‘job’, it also overlaps into my life and work as an author. I’ve been very fortunate that I’ve managed to turn ‘being me’ into a way to make money to live on. I think I’ve found the secret to a happy life!

Me:  Lucky you!!  What would you say are the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

Anthony:  Hands down the hardest part is discipline. I’m very easily distracted, but also the easiest part about being a writer is when I am totally absorbed in my work. When I’m ‘in the zone’ I can lose hours. It’s sometimes like being in a very vivid dream, it’s quite sad to come out of it sometimes. 

Me:  Speaking as an official member of the ADD Anonymous organization, I understand. ;-) What genre do you place your book in?

Anthony:  The Shepherd is easy to place: inspirational self-help. 49q? is somewhat harder, as it crosses many genres, but if I had to pick something it would be something like metaphysical-sci fi-mystery-fantasy-erotica. 

Me:  Sounds like an interesting read! :-)  Anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Anthony:  Writing can be a lonely endeavor, and I’d like to thank all the readers and fellow writers that drop me little notes of encouragement, or review my books. Reviews to an author are like applause to an actor. 

Me:  Amen! :-)  And so our lovely guests can find your amazing books, are there any links you'd like me to post?

Anthony:  Here are the links to my two books:




Thank you so much for speaking with us today Anthony, and best of luck with your works-in-progress!! :-)  Everyone else, thank you as well for being here and don't forget to check back often for more news, updates, random musings and interviews!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment