Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Questions, Scans, And Probes... ;-)


Hey Everyone! :-)

While I've been working on getting Intrinsic Connections ready to share with you all, I've also continued the new story I told you about. Today, I thought I'd share some of the most probing questions with you. ;-)  Enjoy!


Excerpt from Sci-fi Satire Story:
While he was occupied, I looked around the room some more. It really did look like a doctor's office. "I don't suppose you'd like to tell me what in tarnation is going on?"

"Explanations will be forthcoming momentarily. For now, just be assured you will not be harmed. Please climb up on the table so that I may complete a health scan."

"A what, now?"

"A health scan. We must be assured that you harbor no pathogenic microbes or parasites."

I quirked an eyebrow at him. "Is this the part where you probe me?"

That gargling noise again. "I beg your pardon, 'probe' you? My dear young human, I can assure you that the scan does not involve any 'probing' whatsoever. It is simply a scanning light that runs across your body and eradicates any disease-causing organisms so that you do not infect the entire quadrant."

"Quadrant of what?"

"Of the galaxy, of course. What else?"

"Well, how the heck should I know, buddy? Ya'll grabbed me when I was just minding my own business and brought me God only knows where, what am I supposed to think? You sure this doesn't involve any probing?"

Squid-boy's arms waved around his head for a few seconds and his beak snapped open and closed a few times, making a clicking sound that was loud in the quiet room. "Humans! Every single time we interview one of you, it's always the same thing. What is it with your species and your preoccupation with probing? What reason could you possibly imagine we would have for wanting to stick items into your orifices?"

I couldn't help but grin at that. He was right, we humans are a mite obsessed with "probing," though, generally speaking, it doesn't involve being kidnapped by a flashing light and a conversation with a talking squid. But, hey, to each their own, who am I to judge?




No comments:

Post a Comment