Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, December 19, 2016

Something Worth Watching?


Hey Everyone!

I'm back with another video that I wanted to share. This one is partially political and partially just because I thought the story it's about is hilarious. For a little more than a day a hashtag trended on Twitter about Trump supporters wanting to boycott the new Star Wars movie because they thought it was anti-Trump.

Now, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say for sure whether it is or isn't anti-Trump. Though, I strongly suspect that Trump doesn't come into it at all since it's a Star Wars movie. But I thought it was hysterically funny that so many people took offense to the idea that it might be.  The Young Turks did a video on the story, and that's what I'm sharing.

The part of the video that I love the most is when they point out that the Rebel Alliance, if they existed in reality, would be called anti-government terrorists. After all, in every single movie they did their damnedest to destroy government property (the Death Stars and Imperial warships) and to murder government soldiers.  And yet, they're the good guys. Why? Because they're the underdogs and they're fighting for freedom. And most people like that better than they like a monolithic, repressive, fascistic government, that's why.

So, to anyone who wants to boycott Star Wars because you think the writers are anti-Trump, go ahead. That's your right. But just remember that Trump is now the establishment. He's everything that you said you hate. In effect, you're siding with the Empire. So don't be surprised if the rebels rise against you with cries of #NotMyPresident. Me? I think I may just make a point to see the movie in the theater, something I almost never do.



No comments:

Post a Comment