Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

#Agent Thoth's #Personal Log: Day 973


Hey Everyone! :-)

Agent Thoth discusses more of the trials and tribulations associated with living with hominids. Incidentally, if you've missed Agent Thoth's earlier entries, you can find them here: Thoth's Journal


Department for the Preservation and Confirmation of Intelligent Life (DPCIL)
Agent Thoth's Personal Log

Day Nine-Hundred-Seventy-Three:
It occurred to me that it might be easier to communicate with my hominid-servant pictographically regarding my questions about how much of the danger associated with anthropogenic climate change the hominids comprehend. Towards this end, I sought to find objects that could be easily manipulated into shapes. It occurred to me that the bauble offerings the juvenile felid hoards would be ideal for this purpose, as there are many of them, they are small and easy to maneuver, and my hominid-servant would not remove them from my custody before I was finished with them, which is what she does if she finds in my possession items she has not gifted to me.

Unfortunately, the small pest has not given up his obsession with the trinkets, and continues to stockpile them beneath my hominid-servant's sleeping platform. I attempted to use reason to persuade him to relinquish them to me temporarily, but he was unmoved. Since it was imperative that I achieve communication with my hominid-servant on this issue, I took the shortcut of forcibly wresting the offerings from his place of concealment. This resulted in a complete loss of sanity on the part of my foolish companion.

As soon as I had removed several of the baubles to a central position on the floor in the main room of my domicile, the little idiot commenced vocalizing at a decibel level that I am surprised did not damage his throat while running at me and attempting to use the force of impact from his body to knock me from my feet. Naturally, I swatted the tiny annoyance aside, but he was persistent and attacked me repeatedly. Of course, the commotion drew my hominid-servant’s attention, and she immediately took the pestilential beast's side.

She attempted to capture me, however, I was able to evade her by the simple expedient of retreating to the far corner beneath her sleeping platform. I was highly incensed by this point. The injustice of her accusations¾she accused me of “bullying” the aggravating creature!¾combined with the frustration of having my efforts to communicate on such an important subject thwarted yet again were enough to cause me to succumb to an embarrassing fit of pique. The irritating twit bore the brunt of this, as he tried to follow me in my retreat, I believe in a misguided attempt at protecting his collection of baubles, and I smacked him soundly across the face.

Howling, he fled, only to be corralled into the punishment box by my hominid-servant. She also made several further attempts to extricate me from my hiding place, but I deployed the C.L.A.W.S. until she desisted. Though, not without several dire threats of retribution, so that I thought it prudent to remain within my place of concealment until I could be reasonably sure she had gotten over her displeasure with me.

Which meant I stayed beneath the sleeping platform long past when she released my youthful compatriot from his bondage. As I expected, he retrieved the few baubles I had succeeded in liberating and returned them to his cache beneath the sleeping platform. There we glared balefully at each other until he fell asleep. It was not until my hominid-servant retired to her sleeping platform, herself, that I felt confident enough to emerge. The stress and conflict have left me exhausted, and I despair of ever achieving the necessary communication to complete my mission.


Argh! A plague on annoying felids and dense hominids! ;-) You may have noticed that Agent Thoth has a new look. I hope you like his new picture as much as I do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts, either way. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments. ;-) Happy reading, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment