Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, April 4, 2016

#RRBC Spotlight: I'm Not #Crazy...I'm #Allergic by Sherilyn Powers!


The Allergy-Depression Connection

When I first started my book on the relationship between allergies and depression, I’m Not Crazy… I’m Allergic! I had very little to go on. Part of that was not knowing what questions to ask, the other was lack of information readily available. I searched the internet for months just to get frustrated at the lack of information, or only finding bits and pieces alluded to in criticisms of the studies I was looking for.
It seemed like I had gotten myself into researching something that couldn’t be proven, but one day I finally got a break and started finding the studies I was looking for. Not only did I discover studies examining the correlation between allergies and depression, but I found some medical professionals were actually considering that allergies could possibly be the cause of some depressions.
True there were other studies that stated people with long-term depression were more likely to develop allergies, but the fact that the connection was being even considered was extremely exciting to me.  
Since then I have had some people think it ludicrous that eating rice or dairy could cause depression, they laugh to think that allergies have anything to do with how their brains function.
I wonder what they would think about a study that stated sexual abuse or childhood trauma could affect someone’s immune system and make them more susceptible to developing allergies. (Seriously, I have actually seen a report from a psychiatrist that says just that!)
The body and the mind are very closely linked and I think sometimes we forget that, but it is what these studies all insinuate, whether they mean to or not. Either way, the physical and mental are connected.
Does years of depression from a horrific childhood really disrupt a person’s immune system so that their bodies are more likely to perceive something as a threat? Sure, why not?
And is that any more strange than allergies causing lack of sleep, constant feeling of malaise and pain, brain fog, or even depression?  Not in my book – literally.
I honestly believe that both schools of thought are correct. I’m sure sometimes depression can do a lot of physical damage in addition to the emotional and mental trauma, just as I know from first and second-hand experience how allergies can cause and exacerbate mood swings, anxiety and panic attacks, and especially depression.
The problem is getting people to recognize these are even possibilities.
Thankfully, since I first started on this journey to find answers, there has been a lot more awareness of how allergies affect depression. Type both terms into any search engine now and see pages and pages of information. When I started there wasn’t even one entry!
And the great thing for sufferers of both conditions, a lot of these are articles are by medical doctors, naturopaths and psychiatrists. The medical professionals are finally listening and doing the studies that show… there is a definite and real connection between allergies and depression.

Sherilyn Powers’ contact information:
Twitter: @SPowersINCIA


32 comments:

  1. This article is a real eye-opener about the connection between our mind and our body, Sherilyn. Thanks for hosting Mistral!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherilyn for more information on the possible source of allergies and the results. Thanks too to Mistral for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always -- your article is very insightful. Thank you, Sherilyn, and thank you for hosting Mistral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see you on tour Sherilyn! :-D You know - I've had eczema since infancy (so did all of my sisters) and hayfever/asthma since early adolescence. All of us have had depressive issues although my older sisters (both younger than me, but you know what I mean) had them onset around the menopause.
    My worst phase with eczema out of childhood was during the 1st 5 or 6 years of marriage (from the age of 18), when I regularly scratched the irritation until I bled and had rashes all over my body, including my face... I never really regarded this as self-harming until these last few years, when I made the 'leap' that this (much less pronounced and specific gouging in specific, non-visible places) was actually a 'comfort' thing? Physical and Mental are just the poles to our global existence and there's absolutely no doubt that allergies make you miserable! Your book is important, Sherilyn - for everyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments and support, Jan! Allergies are no fun at all and it sounds like you've been through some rough times!

      Delete
  5. The immune system is a very complicated thing, and it is certainly affected by emotions. It seems plausible to me that it could go the other way as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I compare it to the idea that laughter therapy is good for cancer patients! Our attitude matters. :-) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Very educational, Sherilyn. Thanks for sharing what you've learned.

    Thanks for hosting, Mistral.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear how you dug in to get a better understanding. The basic problem is there is still a great deal that is unknown about the immune system. As the story unfolds so will greater appreciation of the causes and effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, Gordon! Thank you so much for dropping in and all your support!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, Sherilyn! Very insightful and informative for sure.
    Thanks for hosting, Mistral. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherilyn, maybe the reason the correlation between depression and allergies is becoming more mainstream could be because of a direct result of your efforts. I tend to think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, Shirley. It was my dream that my book could help open up the dialogue and get people considering the possibilities. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Great article. "The body and the mind are very closely linked." This statement says so much. Think about how little of our brain we actually use. If some people can harness the power of the brain to heal themselves, then it makes sense that the brain can be affected by so many other variables. I'm glad people are spending time researching this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for such a great post, Sherilyn! I'm having a great time following your Spotlight tour :)

    Mistral, thanks for being such a great host for Sherilyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many people suffer from depression, and this is never explored by their doctors. Thank you, Sherilyn, for shedding light on this topic!
    Thank you for hosting, Mistral!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are having a really good turn-out. I hope that will materialize in reading and reviewing your book. Enjoy your tour. Thank you Mistral for hosting her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comments and support Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for hosting me, Mistral! It was great to look around and see where you "live". I hope to return the favour some day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy that you are shedding light on this connection. I am well aware of this issue. My sister suffers from anxiety (a mental "issue") and has extreme physical repercussions because of it. I was diagnosed with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which causes physical/mental/emotional fatigue whenever I am stressed. Our minds and bodies are completely connected, and we cannot harm one without harming the other. At the same time, when we begin to heal one, the other begins to heal as well. Thanks for sharing your story! :-)

    ReplyDelete