Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, December 22, 2014

Mistral Dawn's Interview Of Markie Madden

Hey Everyone! 

I'm here with Markie Madden today, a 39 year-old, married author who has two teenage daughters. She lives in SE Missouri with three dogs and a horse! And has written 3 books: Keeping a Backyard Horse, My Butterfly Cancer and Once Upon a Western Way.


Me: So Markie, what is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

Markie: They all came out at the same time, but my best-seller (in paid sales) is My Butterfly Cancer. It's the memoir of my personal battle with leukemia and how I became an independently-published author. I use the theory of the butterfly effect to explain this!

Me: That's awsome!  And what are you working on now?

Markie: I have two projects I'm currently working on. Triple Heist is a crime romance where Allison, the main character, is head of security at the Federal Reserve bank. But she has a plan to rob the bank! Fang and Claw is book one in the Undead Unit series. Lacey is a detective with the Dallas police department. She's also a vampire. In a society where the Undead creatures are, if not completely accepted, tolerated, she's just been put in charge of an elite squad to investigate crimes dealing with Werewolves, Demons, Reapers, Zombies, and so on. I'm also currently working to get all my books made into audiobooks!

Me: How exciting!  What genre do you place your books in?

Markie: I have two non-fiction and one fantasy/romance that I would put at about age 16+. If they read Nora Roberts type romances, mine isn't any worse in the "adult" situations. And even though my characters are young, they're actually married!

Me: For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Markie: If you pick up My Butterfly Cancer, expect to be introduced to chemotherapy in the harshest of ways! Embarrassing though it was, I didn't hold back in detailing the trials I went through, even when I thought I was going to die!

Me: How frightening! Well we're all glad you're here with us now. Changing gears a bit, what would you say is the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

Markie: The hardest part of writing is definately selling! I first published on Smashwords in 2012 (Once Upon a Weatern Way), and sold 5 copies in two years! Now that I'm on Amazon, and Twitter and other social media, sales are better, but it takes a lot of effort and time! For me, writing the beginning is always the easiest! I don't know how many "first draft first chapters" I've scribbled down in the past!

Me: I think most independent authors can sympathize with how hard it is to market your book, slow sales seem to be a universal bane, at least sometimes.  And what is your favorite part of being an author?

Markie: I love the fact that I can take readers into another world, if only for a short time. And with my memoir, I hope to inspire other cancer patients who might be feeling like there's no way to overcome!

Me: I'm sure everyone is wondering by now: do you have a day job as well?

Markie: Before I had cancer I was a manager at Auto Zone, a chain of auto parts stores. I could still get my job back, but I haven't recovered 100%, and if I can't carry and install a car battery (or lift any other heavy things we have around), I feel the job is better for someone who needs it. Jobs are hard to come by in our small town.

Me: Yeah, jobs are scarce where I live too, it seems to be a common problem in less populated areas. Are there any authors or books that have influenced you?

Markie: My favorite authors are J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts, Kay Hooper, and Patricia Cornwall. Among others! I especially like Kay Hoopers psychic FBI unit (Special Crimes Unit) series.

Me: And what are you reading now? 

Markie: I haven't had much time for reading, though I'm in the middle of Yesteryear, A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann. She bought and reviewed one of mine and I did the same.

Me: Anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Markie: I love to hear from my readers! I like knowing I've written something they enjoy!


Well, it sounds like you are off to an excellent start at a writing career, Markie, I wish you the best of luck!  For anyone who'd like to check out Markie or her books, a bunch of her links are below.

Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/margueritemadden

Website: www.margueritemarkiemadden.simplesite.com

Blog: http://www.writermarkiemadden.blogspot.com/

Twitter Handle: @naddya81975

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/booksbymarkie

Individual Book Links:
My Butterfly Cancer on Amazon http://geni.us3Xdr/
Once Upon a Weatern Way http://geni.us/26Fb
Keeping a Backyard Horse http://geni.us/47ot

She'll also be on B&N and Smashwords, but right now her books are Amazon exclusive releases

Smashwords Profile: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Naddya819

Email Address: naddya81975@gmail.com

2 comments: