Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Or The End Of The Beginning?


Hey Everyone!! :-)

I've got a little more of Alyce's adventure to share with you, today! Enjoy! :-)

Excerpt from Answers From Alyce:
Looking around, I saw the light was fading faster than I'd realized. I'd walked these woods in the dark plenty of times, but I didn't think risking tripping on branches I couldn't see would be the smartest thing I could do at that moment. Getting my legs underneath me, I slowly got to my feet. And, to my relief, the ground and scenery stayed put. There were no signs of glowing lights or strange-looking people, either, though I did look around to make sure.

My alien-inspection complete and yielding a definite negative, I returned my attention to the rabbit, who hadn't moved and was still enjoying his snack. "You know, if you stay out here, the coyotes or an owl will get you. That white fur of yours? It'll stand out like a neon sign in the dark." I squatted down and held my hand out to the little creature. "Why don't you come with me and I'll see if I can find you some nice, warm hay to make a nest out of?"

The rabbit continued to chew, but it looked like it was considering my offer. I glanced at the darkening sky, again, and said, "I ain't gonna stay out here all night while you decide, sugar." I wiggled my fingers at it. "You want to come with me?"

The little critter wiggled its nose at me, and then took a small hop in my direction.

"Well? Come on."

It took another hop towards me, and I was able to stretch and smooth my fingers over the top of its head. I grabbed its scruff and slid it close enough that I could get my other hand under its rump. Standing, I picked the mite up and cuddled it against my chest. It seemed content and snuggled into my arms and settled down.

It was almost full dark, by then, and I carefully picked my way over the uneven ground back towards my home. The small animal in my arms was warm, and the little noises it made were soothing. I stroked its soft fur and said, "I guess you turning up in my vegetables wasn't such a horrible thing, after all. But I'd still like to get my hands on the person who turned you loose out here. Some people don't have a lick ‘a sense, lettin’ a pet rabbit out to get eaten by wild animals."

The rabbit sighed and I chuckled and then sighed with it. "Yeah, you're right; I guess there are bigger things to worry about than things that end up alright. I wonder if them fracking boys'll be back tomorrow. I guess I'd better call a lawyer, since I doubt I'll be able to run 'em off by puttin' a shot of rock salt in their backsides."

By the time I made it to my porch, the sun had truly set. As the stars started winking into existence in the night sky, I looked at them and again thought about my strange dream and the people I had met wandering through my twisted imagination. Leave it to me to conjure up extraterrestrials wanting social commentary¾from li’l ole me, of all people¾on life in modern America. Snorting, I thought about how the last time anyone asked my opinion on anything, it was at a restaurant and the waitress just wanted to know if I wanted a baked potato or fries. Shaking my head at my own foolishness, I opened the door and flicked on the switch beside it. When I turned to make sure the door closed and latched, I caught sight of something in the window of the storm door.

The light in the house and the darkness outside had turned the glass into a mirror, and I could see there was something stuck to the back of my shoulder. Shifting the rabbit to one arm, I reached around with my other hand and peeled the thing off of me. When I brought it around, I saw it was a square of fabric, and I remembered alien hands laying something suspiciously like it on my back not that long ago.

But that was just a dream, wasn't it?





No comments:

Post a Comment