Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Lights, Decontaminiation ...Green? ;-)


Hey Everyone!! :-)

Happy Fourth of July to all my fellow Americans!! :-)  And for all you lovely people from the rest of the world, well, it's still July 4th, isn't it? ;-)  Since it's our Independence Day here in the US, I thought I'd share some of the fireworks that Alyce is experiencing. Enjoy! :-)

Excerpt from sci-fi satire novel:
A light came out of the ceiling and engulfed my whole body as I perched on the table cackling. It was blue this time, and felt slightly warm on my skin. After a second, it started to tingle, and that was enough to calm my hilarity. "What is it doing?"

"It is reading and cataloging the microflora on and within your body. If it finds anything that may pose a hazard to others, it will vaporize it."

"'Vaporize it!'" I tried to jump off the table, but found I was pinned by the light. "Hey! Let me go! You're not 'vaporizing' anything on me."

Squid-boy sighed. "Please be calm. You have nothing to worry about; the decontamination process is precisely targeted. Only pathogenic organisms will be affected."

I was still trying to get away from the light, and I still couldn't move. "You let me go, now, ya hear? I didn't agree to any vaporizing."

"Your consent was implied by your arrival."

"I never agreed to come here!"

"That is irrelevant. You are here and so your consent to being scanned is assumed."

"Gah!" I struggled against the light. "If you don't let me out of here, right now…" The light disappeared and I flung myself off the table and stomped over to Squid-boy. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your can from here to next Tuesday!"

"I am unaware of any research that indicates that an organism may be transported to the future through the use of violence. Is this something your scientists are working on? If so, I must say, your species is particularly suited to take advantage of such a phenomenon."

"Argh!" I reached down to snatch his clipboard away from him so I could use it to beat him over the head, when I realized that my arm was green. I looked at my other arm and saw that it was also green. I pulled up my shirt so I could see my belly, and it was also green. "What in pink and purple heck is going on here?" I screeched.

Squid-boy reached one of his tentacle arms towards me as if he was going to touch me, but he pulled back before he made contact. "Oh my. This is most unusual."



No comments:

Post a Comment