Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

#Agent Thoth's #Personal Log: Day 559


Hey Everyone! :-)

Agent Thoth discusses more of the trials and tribulations associated with living with hominids. Incidentally, if you've missed Agent Thoth's earlier entries, you can find them here: Thoth's Journal


Department for the Preservation and Confirmation of Intelligent Life (DPCIL)
Agent Thoth's Personal Log

Day Five-Hundred-Fifty-Nine:
There is one particular taxonomic class of arthropod that I find most intriguing. Morphologically, they differ from the majority of the other local arthropods in that they only have two body segments, as opposed to the more common three-body-segmented variety, and they possess eight legs instead of the more commonly observed six.

There seem to be representatives of several orders within this class within the local biosphere; however, the one I find most interesting is a web-weaving order. I have observed multiple genera within this order, locally. So many that I haven't even begun trying to classify them into individual species.

Unfortunately, this order of arthropod seems to be singled out by my hominid-servant for particular censure. For some reason, she seems to locate and eradicate the very few representatives of this order that make their way into my domicile with even greater efficiency than she directs towards the extermination of other arthropods. It is frustrating in the extreme.

I have tried to identify a reason for such extreme behavior, and I believe I may have come up with a working hypothesis. The majority of the representatives of this order of arthropod produce venom that results in a painful bite for any animals that threaten or harass the creatures. I know this because I have been the recipient of several such bites.

The quantity and type of venom produced varies, as does the size of the delivery mechanism -- fangs -- that the creatures can boast. Thus far, the worst effect I have suffered from such a bite has been a small, painful lump that healed within a few days. However, it is certainly possible that there are species of these arthropods that I have yet to encounter that possess a more potent venom that they are able to deliver in doses large enough to present a danger, even to an animal as large as my hominid-servant.

If my hominid-servant's ancestors evolved in an environment where these dangerously venomous arthropods were common, it makes sense that a heightened awareness and instinctive response to the shape of the creatures may have developed over time. At least, that is the only explanation I have been able to devise for why she is not only so unreasonable about allowing my study of these arthropods, but also why she is so adept at enforcing her interdiction against them.


Gah! Is there no justice? Does she have no respect for science? ;-) You may have noticed that Agent Thoth has a new look. I hope you like his new picture as much as I do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts, either way. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments. ;-) Happy reading, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment