Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, March 7, 2016

#Interview with Chris Morgan


Hey Everyone!

Christopher Morgan is here with us today.  Chris, can you tell us a bit about yourself and how many books you have written?

Chris:  Well, I’m Chris, and Portallas - Forestium will be my debut novel. I’ve always been good with the written word but have left it rather late in the game to launch into a writing career (I’ve been telling myself that I’ve been practicing up till now). Book 1, Forestium, is complete and I’m currently working on book 2 in the series, which I’m calling Archipelago.
I lead a busy life here in Melbourne Australia’s South Eastern suburbs. I have 2 kids in primary school and a very loving wife. I spend a lot of my time volunteering for the local community and run a small education resources company, called Bounce Learning Kids, in which I design visual learning resources that help convey educational concepts visually. I also serve on the odd committee here and there. Oh, and I also have a full-time job as an IT manager.

Me:  Sounds like you keep yourself busy! :-)What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

Chris:  The inspiration for Forestium and the broader Portallas series struck me relatively suddenly, when I sat down with a good friend and thrashed out an idea that was mulling around in my head. I wanted to create something that was not going to be just a one-off, so I came up with the notion of each new book representing a totally different environment for my protagonist to contend with.

Me:  Interesting!  What are you working on now?

Chris:  Actually, I’ve been spending a lot of time on marketing for Forestium, which is shortly to be released. It’s amazing how much time goes into writing a book that doesn’t actually involve actually writing the book. Once the final chapter is complete, it seems that all the real work is still ahead.

Me:  Amen!  What authors, or books, have influenced you?

Chris:  I really admire what J.K. Rowling has done for the work with respect to getting kids to pick up a book and read.

Me:  Yeah, she really is an inspiration in so many ways. :-)  What are you reading now?

Chris:  Funny enough, I haven’t read anything new for a while. My calendar is usually so full, I rarely have time to sit to myself and just indulge in a good book.

Me:  A problem for many writers, unfortunately.  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Chris:  I’d tell them to expect a thrilling adventure with lots of twists and turns and some emotional gut-wrenching that the protagonist, Joshua, has to face.

Me:  Cool!  What is your favorite part of being an author?

Chris:  I’d have to say it’s the feedback I get from readers that have been hooked into the story and express just how thrilled they were to read it. Nothing motivates me more than when a reader tells me just how much they liked my writing.

Me:  Yeah, that really is an amazing feeling. :-)  Do you have a day job as well?

Chris:  Oh yes! Writing is very much a side-line for me. I hope to one day swing the pendulum the other way but for now, as a debut author, I still rely on my day job to pay the bills.

Me:  Testify, brother! ;-)  What are the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

Chris:  The hardest part can be trying to find the time to do the things you need to do. It’s also an acquired skill to not take criticism to heart. It took me a while to figure out that criticism is just about the best avenue towards making improvements. I no longer spend any time licking my wounds if someone criticizes. I see what I do to improve and move on. The best part is probably the satisfaction I get from readers that have enjoyed the story.

Me:  Yes, it's important to learn and grow as an author.  What genre do you place your book in?

Chris:  I typically classify it as YA Fantasy/Adventure.

Me:  Sounds like fun!!  Is there anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Chris:  Look out for more books in the Portallas series!

Me:  Awesome!  Are there any links you'd like me to post?

Chris:
http://portalls.com
http://facebook.com/portallas
https://www.goodreads.com/chrismorgan

Me:  Wonderful!!  Thank you so much for stopping by today, Chris.  And thank you everyone else who joined us!  Don't forget to check back tomorrow for the latest in Mistral Dawn's Musings! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment