Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Thursday, February 25, 2016

#Interview With Jennifer Ortiz



Hey Everyone!! :-)

Jennifer Ortiz is joining us today!  Jennifer, can you please tell us about yourself and how many books you have written?

Jennifer:  I have three kids, a husband (so four kids, really), and a pug (ok, so five kids). I am 36 but my kids think I'm 29. Because I am.  Also, I just want to see how long they believe I'm 29.  I live in Pennsylvania and regret that every winter because I hate snow. I've released one book and have approximately 80,000 WIPs. Give or take.

Me:  Ha! I'm 29 with experience.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! ;-)  What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

Jennifer:  My book is called Chosen. One day, I was thinking about what would happen if Buffy had been a dude. And I started writing. And 90k words later, there was my boy, Cal.

Me:  Cool! :-)  What are you working on now?

Jennifer:  My current WIP is a contemporary romantic comedy and is best described as this:  She's a 38-year old comedienne/actress who finally made it after years of trying.  He's a 23-year old singer/songwriter/actor who was an overnight success after winning a popular TV talent show.  She's been burned before and has sworn off relationships.  His personal life is complicated but he's willing to take the risk.  She thinks they're too different.  He thinks opposites attract.  But the world is watching (and judging) their every move.  In Hollywood, appearances are more important than the reality. And everyone has a hidden agenda.  Can the Funny Girl and It Boy combine their star power and live happily ever after?  Or will the bright lights of Tinseltown blind them to what's right in front of them?

Me:  Sounds interesting!  What authors, or books, have influenced you?

Jennifer:  I was incredibly inspired to self-publish after reading Slammed by Colleen Hoover. I write nothing like her, but it was after I read her book that I realized that self-pubbing was a THING and I could do it.

Me:  I remember the moment I realized self-publishing was a thing too! Life changing. :-)  What are you reading now?

Jennifer:  Currently, I'm reading City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (YES, I know I'm super behind the times with this series - I do what I want.)

Me:  And that's the best way to live. ;-)  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Jennifer:  I'm hesitant to compare my book to anything BUT I would say if you like the idea of a Buffy/Supernatural-type mash-up, you will probably like Chosen. Cal has a Dean Winchester-ish flavor, which is funny because I wrote the book before I even ever saw the show. There is some adult language and some sexy-ness. There's also awkwardness and some funny things. This story is the beginning of Cal's journey - he's got a lot of growing up to do.

Me:  Don't we all? ;-)  What is your favorite part of being an author?

Jennifer:  My favorite part of being an author is having this spark of an idea, literally just a "Oh, wouldn't it be fun if....", and then that idea coming to life with my words. I write what I want to read.

Me:  Which is how you get books worth reading.  Do you have a day job as well?

Jennifer:  Oh, yes (*loud dramatic sigh*)

Me:  Well, many of us do. ;-)  What are the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

Jennifer:  Hardest: FINISHING THE DANG BOOK. Seriously, I get about 20-25k words in and then I'm all "Wut r wurds?" So frustrating. I'm not a plotter so I let the story tell itself and sometimes the story forgets what it's doing. Best: That moment when you're writing and you are feeling all the feelings of what you are writing - all the funny, all the swoony, all the drama, all of it. 

Me:  Ha! I think we all have those moments.  What genre do you place your book in?

Jennifer:  New Adult Paranormal with romantic elements

Me:  One of my favs! :-)  Is there anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Jennifer:  I'm awkward. Sorry for that. But I'd love for you to stalk me...in the non-illegal way, of course.

Me:  Yes, non-illegal stalking is always encouraged.  Are there any links you'd like me to post?

Jennifer:

Me:  Wonderful!  Thank you so much for stopping by today, Jennifer.  And thank you everyone else who joined us!  Don't forget to check back tomorrow for the next installment of Mistral Dawn's Musings. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment