Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Thursday, December 17, 2015

#Interview With AM Leibowitz!



Hey Everyone!! :-)


A. M. Leibowitz is here with us today to talk about her book, Passing On Faith.  A. M., can you tell us about yourself and how many books you have written?

AM:  I'm a spouse, parent, writer, and editor from upstate NY. I mostly write bisexual MM. That's not quite what it sounds like--most people probably think threesomes/menage and possibly erotica. But I actually write bi characters, culture, and life experiences, which does sometimes include polyamory and open relationships. It also includes coming out, falling in love, and working through issues unique to bisexuality. Besides that, I've written short stories in various LGBTQ+ categories. So far, I have two novels published by Supposed Crimes and a number of short stories, both self-published and in anthologies from small/arthouse publishers.

Me:  Sounds like you've been busy!! :-)  What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

AM:  My current novel is Passing on Faith. It's a very personal novel inspired by my own journey to reconcile my faith and my sexuality. It's also partly based on the story of Puss in Boots.

Me:  I have to say, that's one of my favorite fairy tales. :-)  What are you working on now?

AM:  I'm finishing up edits on a novel about a burned-out activist who's a classic rescuer. He's learning to let go of the problems of the world and that it's ok to need someone else to lean on.

Me:  Speaking of someone who has been involved in animal rescue for a number of years, I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about. :-)  What authors, or books, have influenced you?

AM:  It would be hard to pick just one. I read a lot of LGBTQ+ fiction, and I'm constantly awed by how many wonderful, talented writers there are. I don't feel right naming only one author. Of more mainstream authors, my favorite is Elizabeth Berg. She has a knack for writing perfect slice-of-life novels.

Me:  Yes, there are a lot of truly amazing authors out there! :-)  What are you reading now?

AM:  I'm always reading multiple books! Currently on my Kindle are Silence Out Loud by Geonn Cannon and Signs of Desire by Tempeste O'Riley.

Me:  Cool! :-)  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

AM:  I would say to expect a non-traditional romance, a rainbow of LGBTQ+ characters, and some religious elements. I don't mince words; sometimes, religion is really damaging. But I also don't take the view that it's all negative--the two main characters have very different perspectives on that.

Me:  That actually sounds really interesting!  I might have to check it out! :-)  What is your favorite part of being an author?

AM:  Meeting other authors. I can't believe how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many supportive fellow writers.

Me:  I totally agree.  The author community is awesome! :-)  Do you have a day job as well?

AM:  I'm also a freelance editor, so I get to work with writers on the other end of things too.

Me:  So you get the early glimpses! ;-)  What are the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

AM:  Hardest: Getting frustrated when the words just won't come out the way I want.  Easiest: Working from home!

Me:  Yes, working from home is great! :-)  What genre do you place your book in?

AM:  It's categorized on Amazon as literature (under Gay and Lesbian). I tend to think of it as mixed genre literary/romance.

Me:   Like I said, it sounds interesting! :-)  Is there anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

AM:  *waves* Just that I'm grateful for the love and support, and I really enjoy connecting with readers. I'm happy to chat any time.

Me:  And so these fine folks can find your intriguing stories, are there any links you'd like me to post?

AM:  Here's the link to my website: http://amleibowitz.com


Me:  Wonderful!!  Thank you so much for dropping by today, A. M.  And thank you to everyone else who has joined us!  Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the next edition of Mistral Dawn's Musings! :-)



2 comments: