Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, January 5, 2015

Lyn Horner Interviewed By Mistral Dawn: Book Giveaway To One Lucky Winner!!














Hi Everyone!

Today Lyn Horner has been kind enough to join us to talk about her new book, Rescuing Lara, and to thank all of you lovely people for visiting with us she's offering a free Nook or Kindle copy to one reader who leaves a comment.  To enter just comment below and tell her what your favorite thing about reading romantic stories is.  She'll choose a winner on Wednesday, 1/7/2015, and the winning name will be announced on this blog!  Thank you for making this so much fun, Lyn! Can you tell us about yourself and your books? :-)

Lyn:  Hi Mistral. I’m delighted to be here on your gorgeous site! Thank you for this opportunity to visit you and get acquainted with your followers. 

To begin with, I’m a transplanted Minnesota Yankee living in Fort Worth, Texas – “Where the West Begins” – with my husband and a brood of very spoiled cats. A visual artist first, I worked as a fashion illustrator and art instructor after college. However, I always enjoyed writing and this hobby grew into a love of research and the crafting of passionate love stories based on that research.

I have written and published seven books, including four novels, one novella, a photo-illustrated memoir, and a four book bundle of my Texas Devlins series. I have also written several short stories, one a Christmas tale, two flash fiction pieces and one as part of a multi-author anthology titled Rawhide ‘n Roses available on Amazon.

Me:  Sounds like you've enjoyed trying different things! :-)  Can you tell us what inspired your latest book?

Lyn:  My latest book is Rescuing Lara (Romancing the Guardians, Book One), released about two weeks ago, it’s a departure from my western historical romances. This one is contemporary romantic suspense embellished with Irish folklore, a thread of apocalyptic prophesy that will run through the whole series, and my trademark flashes of psychic phenomena.

I was inspired to write this story by my love of Celtic myth and folklore, especially Irish, and by my belief in ESP – extra sensory perception. And, of course, by my ongoing love affair with romantic fiction.

Me:  Sounds interesting! I've already bought my copy, I'll have to get to reading it! :-) What are you working on now?

Lyn:  I’m working on book two in the Romancing the Guardians series. It’s titled Decoding Michaela. I hope to publish it in June 2015.

Me:  Ambitious! What authors, or books, have influenced you?

Lyn:  Gosh, there are so many! Several historical romance authors come to mind, including Lavyrle Spencer, Rosemary Rogers, Kathleen Woodiwiss and Linda Lael Miller, just to name a few. More recently, Diana Gabaldon’s phenomenal Outlander series has inspired me to stretch my imagination and further hone my writing skills. Gabaldon is my idol!

Me:  Sounds like you enjoy reading. ;-)  What are you reading now?

Lyn:  I’ve just started reading The Branches Of Time by Luca Rossi. It’s a sci-fi/time travel story. Next on my long queue of Kindle books is Daring Passage by Maggie Plummer.

Me:  Those are both on my TBR list too! They both sound awesome!  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Lyn:  As always with my stories, readers should expect plenty of action, high emotion and spicy love scenes. Plus, they will encounter elements of suspense and mystery, flashes of psychic power and prophetic visions of tomorrow.

Me:  Oh! Spicy love scenes! LOVE those! ;-)  What is your favorite part of being an author?

Lyn:  I love plotting a new book, especially when I can brainstorm with author friends. It’s the most imaginative part of the writing process. Building emotional scenes is a close second.

Me:  They can be fun to write! :-)  Do you have a day job as well?

Lyn:  Not anymore. My day job, after quitting work as an art instructor, was to raise my kids, cook and keep house while my husband “brought home the bacon.” Now our kids are grown, hubby is retired and I am blessed with his help around the house.

Me:  Lucky you! It's great that you and your husband have been able to work out a system. :-)   What is the hardest and easiest part about being a writer?

Lyn:  The hardest part is marketing. I suspect most authors would say the same thing. It’s true for traditionally published authors and even more so for indie authors like me.  Without a large publishing house behind me, I have to do all my own promotion. It’s very time consuming and downright exhausting.

The easiest part is writing the darn book! I can’t tell you how much I enjoy escaping into my imaginary world, letting my characters take over and lead me down their winding path to love.

Me:  Yeah, I think your right about the general consensus on marketing.  What genre do you place your book in?

Lyn:  Rescuing Lara is primarily romantic suspense, but as mentioned above, it’s a blend of romance, mystery, action/adventure and a pervasive sense of the supernatural.

Me:  Cool! :-)  Anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Lyn:  I’d like readers to know Romancing the Guardians is an ongoing series, sort of a serial but with full-length novels and NOT with cliff hangar endings. As the story builds, they will meet seven Guardians and their romantic partners. The final book will pit their combined powers against forces of evil that threaten to steal the ancient relics they guard.

Me:  And so these fine folks can find your awesome books, are there any links you'd like me to post?

Lyn:  Absolutely! Rescuing Lara can be purchased for Kindle or Nook, and will soon be available in print as well as from other digital retailers.


Amazon Author Page:

Barnes & Noble Author Page:

Readers can connect with me on these sites:

Me:  Thank you so much for joining us here today Lyn, and best of luck with your new book! Everyone else, thank you for joining us too and please stay tuned for more interviews, reviews, news and random musings! :-)

23 comments:

  1. I have been an avid romance novel reader since 15 when I first started subscribing to mills and boon, on the down side I have very unrealistic expectations of romance, it took me years to discover that the hero doesn't exist. Not helped by the fact that I am a female computer nerd, surrounded by geeks who are terrified of women and I married an engineer. I love losing my self in the novels, and even though I am definitely middle aged I still love the idea that someone, somewhere can whisk you off your feet.... also I leave them round the house with bits marked as training material for the husband, he is a work in progress lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm glad you are able to escape into romantic stories. Love the idea of leaving bookmarked bit for your husband to read and learn from. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. OG, I'm with you. That HEA is something to hold out for! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Nice interview Lyn. Glad to see you getting more notice for your great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. Sweet of you to say that! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  3. Lyn, great interview. Didn't know you were branching out into romantic suspense. And I definitely agree with you that marketing Indie books is the very hardest part!!! Will post your giveaway to my Facebook. Good luck with the interview and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hebby, I needed a little break from my western romances. Not that I'm giving up that genre. Never!

      The one good thing about marketing is the support of great people like you and my friend Mistral. Keep writing!

      Delete
  4. Nice interview, Lyn and Mistral! and thank you both so much for mentioning my new book in your TRB remark. (gosh you're swell, etc. LOL LOL)... I'm sure I already have my copy of your new book, Lyn, but I will answer your question anyway: my favorite thing about reading romantic stories? for me, the heat! I have to live vicariously through these characters, see... ha! again, congrats, you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie, you deserve kudos for your Irish historicals. I love 'em! Hope you love mine too. :)

      We all live vicariously through romance reads, my dear. Thanks a bunch for popping in!

      Delete
    2. Hi Maggie! Thanks! And thank you for reading! :-)

      Delete
  5. I have begun reading the Rescuing Lara book... it is great so far and I cannot wait to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like to hear, Miz Lalo! I have the next book in the series plotted. Now I just need to write it.

      Delete
    2. Lalo, you're ahead of me, but I'll catch up! :-)

      Delete
  6. Mistral, thank you again for having me here today. It's been great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Lyn! Best of luck with your new book!!! :-)

      Delete
  7. I not only love the HEA but the characters journey together. I like to escape from the worries of my life and the world and be transported to another place. It's relaxing and exciting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doveknoll, you said it perfectly. The same goes for writing stories with interesting characters and HEAs. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete