Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

#Agent Thoth's #Personal Log: Day 842


Hey Everyone! :-)

Agent Thoth discusses more of the trials and tribulations associated with living with hominids. Incidentally, if you've missed Agent Thoth's earlier entries, you can find them here: Thoth's Journal


Department for the Preservation and Confirmation of Intelligent Life (DPCIL)
Agent Thoth's Personal Log

Day Eight-Hundred-Forty-Two:
I have recently had reason to reflect on how inefficiently designed the hominid body is. Due undoubtedly to evolutionary pressures, the details of which I cannot imagine, they have developed a structure that requires them to walk upright on their rear limbs with no tail for counterbalance. As you would expect, this configuration of their anatomy results in excess strain being put on their lower spines. And as a result of this flaw in her construction, my hominid-servant injured herself recently doing routine tasks that should not have resulted in injury.

Unfortunately, because the area in question is a fulcrum in nearly all movements a hominid regularly engages in, the injury in question is quite debilitating when it comes to practical concerns. My hominid-servant did manage to fill the food dishes and clean the waste receptacles. However, due to the pain caused by her injury, she was unwilling to exert herself in any of the other useful, entertaining, or enlightening activities she generally performs.

This has made it difficult to study hominid behavior and has also discomfited the adolescent felid, as he relies on my hominid-servant providing an outlet for his youthful energy. I did note that my hominid servant attempted to alleviate her symptoms through the application of a heat source to the affected area. However, the tiny irritant had used the filament that connects the heat source to the junction that transmits electrical energy as a teething device, so the heat source proved non-functional.

Since my other studies were thwarted through a combination of lack of hominid activity and excess small felid activity, I decided to investigate whether the palliative measure my hominid-servant had attempted would have been effective. I therefore waited until she positioned herself on her sleeping platform in such as way that gave me access to the location on her back that seemed to be giving her the greatest amount of trouble. I then placed myself against the area, using the warmth of my body as a substitute for the artificial heat source she had intended to use, and engaged the P.U.R.R. to help soothe her into remaining still.

My efforts seemed to have made some difference, though it is difficult to quantify the improvement because, after a period of resting this way, my hominid-servant seemed to move more easily and with less pain. She also patted my head and told me I was a "nice kitty," which I found to be exceptionally patronizing but also an indication that my presence had aided in her recovery. From her movements, I believe that my hominid-servant's condition is improved but not resolved. I will monitor her progress to see if further intervention on my part is warranted and report back on any additional data this experiment yields.


Hmm... Always trouble, those hominids. ;-) You may have noticed that Agent Thoth has a new look. I hope you like his new picture as much as I do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts, either way. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments. ;-) Happy reading, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment