Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

#Agent Thoth's #Personal Log: Day 443


Hey Everyone! :-)

Agent Thoth discusses more of the trials and tribulations associated with living with hominids. Incidentally, if you've missed Agent Thoth's earlier entries, you can find them here: Thoth's Journal


Department for the Preservation and Confirmation of Intelligent Life (DPCIL)
Agent Thoth's Personal Log

Day Four-Hundred-Forty-Three:
Today, my hominid-servant introduced a new ritual that is apparently associated with the decorated dead tree she seems to have such affection for. When she arose from her sleeping platform, she found me where I was sitting on the ledge by one of the portals deeply engaged in recording the behavior of the small, flying avians that seem to have claimed the territory immediately outside my domicile. With no regard for my studies, my hominid-servant plucked me from the ledge and deposited me on the floor next to the dead tree.

This confused me because, until this time, she had gone to great lengths to dissuade me from approaching the tree. She sat beside me on the floor and, once settled, she pulled one of the decorated boxes she had placed around the tree into her lap. Mystified by the odd behavior, I chose to remain and observe rather than return to documenting the activities of the avians.

After she called the canid to joins us, my hominid-servant launched into a lengthy speech about the current position of this planet in its revolution around the local star and how special it is, though she failed to explain why this particular point in the orbit is so important. She then told us that she was grateful to have us both in her life, which is understandable. After all, any hominid fortunate enough to be assigned to a DPCIL agent should feel grateful, though why such gratitude is associated with the planetary rotation escapes me. And she said that she looked forward to seeing what we thought of the gifts she had gotten for us. At this point, my curiosity was piqued and I couldn't wait to see what my hominid-servant would do next.

She tore the decorations from the box, which irritated me because had I done the same she would have reacted badly, and then opened it to reveal more of the objects that she ceremoniously presents to me on occasion. However, this presentation involved even more fanfare than usual, which I still don't understand because the objects seem indistinguishable from her previous presentations. Then, with the same amount of ceremony, my hominid servant opened another box with several varieties of eatables I have not previously sampled. All of them are contained within packaging that I am unable to penetrate without assistance, however they all smell delectable and the contents of the one package she did open were delicious.

I thought that this ceremony was intended to express her gratitude for my indulgence of her attachment to the dead tree, but then she opened a third box. This one contained the intoxicating herb she has drugged me with in the past. As before, I was unable to resist its allure and soon found myself engaging in utterly undignified behavior that I only partly remember now. Also, as with previous encounters with this drug, it wasn't long before I was forced into a deep and extended slumber in order to recover from its effects, so I did not see if the canid was presented with offerings as well or if the dubious honor was reserved for me.

At this point, I am not certain what my hominid-servant's purpose was with this ceremony, but I hope it will not be repeated. While the objects and food are welcome, the herb is clearly dangerous and my exposure to it should be limited. The dead tree remains in the domicile, though the foot coverings no longer hang from the wall, so I am not certain what my hominid-servant's next move will be. I will remain on guard and include any further behavioral anomalies in my reports.



Oh my! Hominids do engage in some bizarre behavior at times, don't they? You may have noticed that Agent Thoth has a new look. I hope you like his new picture as much as I do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts, either way. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments. ;-)  Happy reading, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment