Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Friday, May 21, 2021

Working Hypotheses...


Hey Everyone!! :-)

Here's a little bit more of the third installment in the Petri Dish Chronicles! As always, the disclaimer is that this is a draft and, as such, it's unedited and likely full of errors and is subject to revision, revamping, and being completely scrapped and rewritten. But, with that in mind, I'm reasonably satisfied with the basics of it, at least at the moment, or I wouldn't have bothered posting it. Enjoy! :-)

Excerpt from Shifting Paradigms:
Giving one of his careless shrugs, Vlad replied, “This is a space I maintain for building projects. If there is a new attraction, feature, or venue I wish added to my city, this is where I design and construct it. Therefore, the code that governs this area is slightly more…malleable than that which is found in most of the rainbow. I require a certain amount of flexibility in which to test new concepts without disturbing the surrounding infrastructure. I had thought Per Dish might find it easier to form an interface here.” Turning his laser-like gaze on her, he asked, “Was I correct, Per Dish?"

Swallowing against a sudden lump in her throat, Petri fought to meet the eyes that seemed to bore into her own. “I... I'm not sure. It was… strange. When I came in the room, you were far away. Chessie and Daji were right behind me, and then they were far away. And then a second later you were all right here. I don’t know what happened.”

Vlad kept his eyes locked to Petri’s for a few more heartbeats and then gave one of his odd, flickering blinks. “Interesting,” he said, turning away and leading them farther into the room. “I don’t sense your energy signature mingled with that of the room, but what you describe does sound as if you may have interfaced directly with the code here.”





 

No comments:

Post a Comment