Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, February 16, 2015

Jacci Turner Interviewed By Mistral Dawn

Hi Everyone!

We're back again with another author interview and today our guest is Jacci Turner.  Can you tell us about yourself and how many books you have written, Jacci?

Jacci:  I started writing five and a half years ago and have published seven books and one booklet. I have another book edited and ready to go! Funny thing about me, I only write on Tuesdays! I love writing. It feeds my soul.

Me:  Interesting! What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

Jacci:  The last book I wrote is hot off the presses. It's called Shipwrecked and is for middle grade children aged 8 and up. My friend Dave Brown, invented this program called epifiction. Teachers sign up for it and the students are involved in deciding the direction of the story. I was his first author to try it out. I wrote the first three chapters and then gave the students three choices. They, of course, chose the direction I was least interested in! That went on for seven weeks! At the end, we had Shipwrecked. It was a wild ride. The inspiration, Dave said it had to be an action adventure, kind of melodramatic. That is not my normal style and was a stretch for me. But, I threw two sisters in a shark infested ocean and we were off! 

Me:  Sounds like a lot of fun for your readers!  What are you working on now?

Jacci:  My Finding Home Series has been popular with middle grade girls. They want more! So, what I thought was a trilogy is going on into the fourth book. It's a good thing I like the characters. Book four will be called Riley's Ride. Now I need to learn about horses!

Me: It's funny how writing always teaches us something, isn't it?  What authors, or books, have influenced you?

Jacci:  Too many to name! But I love Madeleine L'engle of A Wrinkle in Time fame. Her book, Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, helped me get unstuck in the story line of Shipwrecked. All my books have been based in reality but she reminded me there there is magic in the world. So, suddenly the shipwrecked girls were on a magic island and THAT was a lot more fun! 

Me:  It sounds like fun!  What are you reading now?

Jacci:  I'm reading an author from my #indiebooksbeseen book group. Here book is called: Seed: Keepers of Genesis 1 and her name is db nielsen. That's how she spells it, without caps. She's cool that way and so is her book. 

Me: Dee is great, she's been a lot of help with connecting with the #indiebooksbeseen movement!  For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?
Jacci:  I'm a character writer. All my books are studies on people and their relationships. Also, all my books are about social justice issue in some way, or at least about the deeper issues in the world. Expect to go deep with me! 

Me:  Cool! And what is your favorite part of being an author?

Jacci:  Something about writing fills my soul. I come away from it feeling like I have gained energy instead of expending it. It gives me great joy. And, I hope to change the world. There's that.

Me: Yeah, writing can definitely be a blast! :-)  Do you have a day job as well?

Jacci:  Yes, I'm a bereavement counselor for people that are dying and their families. That might tell you something...

Me:  Sounds like a hard job.  What would you say are the hardest and easiest parts about being a writer?

Jacci:  The hardest part is the marketing. It's great to connect to fans, hard to find them. When you find them, and someone actually reads your book, or tells you that they just read your book seven times and it's their favorite book of all time, then it's worth it.

Me:  Yes, it's an awesome feeling when someone tells you they enjoyed your work.  What genre do you place your book in?

Jacci:  I have four in middle grade fiction, three in young adult fiction and one on the way.

Me:  Great! Anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Jacci:  You can find a free first chapter of Bending Willow on my website, it will give you a taste of my style. Bending Willow is on sale on Amazon for .99 and has been a fan favorite. It was chosen to represent Nevada at the National Book festival in Washington D.C. It is an Amazon Best seller in the  middle grade action adventure category. 

Me:  And so our lovely readers today can find your work, are there any links you'd like me to post?

Jacci:  Sure! You can find me at http://www.jacciturner.com/ and all my books at http://goo.gl/4xsfup. I'm on most every social media outlet under Jacci Turner and would LOVE to connect! 

Thank you so much Mistral Dawn for having me on today. You Rock! 

Me: Thanks Jacci. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment