Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Friday, April 23, 2021

Surprising Propositions... πŸ˜‰

 


Hey Everyone! 😊

Happy Friday! Since it's almost the beginning of the weekend, I thought I'd share a peek of another beginning. Enjoy... πŸ˜‰

Excerpt from Captivated by the Winter King:
"Before I tell you where I live, you need to understand how Fae society is organized. There are many different types of Fae, and each one is different from the others. Different types of Fae specialize in different kinds of magic and have different powers. Some Fae wander independently throughout Fairie at will, and they are called Wild Fae. But most Fae live under the protection of more powerful leaders. Those leaders have carved out territory for themselves and their people, and they protect and defend that territory. The Fae who live within those territories are beholden to the leaders who have claimed it."

"No one, except perhaps the goddess, knows all Fairie's secrets. There is much about our world that remains a mystery to everyone. What is understood to be true in this part of Fairie, is that the two largest territories in Fairie are the Season Courts. These are the Summer Court and the Winter Court. The magic of these two Courts balances each other, which helps to protect the inhabitants of the Courts from the effects of the chaos that is the fabric from which Fairie was constructed. Does this make sense?"

Kate considered before she responded. "I can't say I understand everything you have described," she temporized. "But what you've said seems to make sense, of a sort."

Ankou studied his Anamchara's face, looking for signs that she was having difficulty handling the information he was giving her. She didn't seem to be distressed, and it appeared that she was absorbing everything, so he continued, "Each Season Court has two rulers, a king and a queen. As the Summer balances the energy of the Winter, and vice versa, so the feminine energy of the queen and the masculine energy of the king balance each other within each Court. This is important, because it is only this balance that allows order to be maintained and the Fae of the Courts to live in peace. Without this balance, chaos would rule."

"I understand, sort of," said Kate.

Nodding, Ankou said, "I am the king of the Winter Court, but my queen died centuries ago. Since her death, chaos has encroached upon my kingdom, and there is much turmoil. As my mate, you can restore the balance to the magic of the Winter Court, but only if you accept your role as queen. I realize it may take some time before you are ready to make such an important decision. But I would like to take you back to the Winter palace so that you may meet the people I am asking you to rule and learn the duties that a queen is expected to perform. Will you go with me?"

Startled, Kate blurted, "You want me to be queen of the fairies?"

The king grimaced. "We call ourselves Fae. To call a Fae a fairy is an insult."

"But, that's what you are, right? I mean, the stories about fairies are about people from this place, isn't that correct?"

"If you mean the stories that humans tell about my people, then yes. We are often called fairies in the human stories, but we are Fae."

The surrealistic quality of the situation was interfering with Kate's capacity for rational thought. She tried to come up with an intelligent question. "If I don't go with you to the Winter palace, what other option do I have? You said you won't send me back to Earth, so where would I go?"


Want to find out what Kate's options are? Go ahead and grab your copy at the link below. Happy reading! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment