Who Is Mistral Dawn?

Mistral Dawn is a thirty-something gal who has lived on both coasts of the US but somehow never in the middle. She currently resides in the Southeast US with her kitty cats (please spay or neuter! :-)) where she works as a hospital drudge and attends graduate school. Taken By The Huntsman is her first effort at writing fiction and if it is well received she has ideas for several more novels and short-stories in this series. Please feel free to visit her on FaceBook or drop her a line at mistralkdawn@gmail.com

Monday, May 18, 2015

Andrew Fine #Interviewed By Mistral Dawn


 Hey Everyone!! :-)

Andrew Fine is here with us today! :-) Will you tell us about yourself and how many books you have written, Andrew?
Andrew: I am a retired mad scientist some 52 years old, a full-time homemaker, sometime silversmith, and occasional creative writer. I've struggled with autism my entire life, but despite this I hold a master's degree in computer science and held down a 15 year career as a software designer before the bottom finally fell out of the industry due to off-shoring of work to China and India since 2005. I have a beautiful wife and a lovely 11 year old girl who I help care for. I've only written one book so far.

Me: Sounds like you're a busy guy! :-) What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

Andrew: My only, and therefore latest book, is Alouette's Song. It's a re-imagination of a space opera set in the Depression Era and published in 1928 which had fallen into the public domain. This original book under a different title inspired me as an 11 year old to do my best to rise above a lifetime of very oppressive treatment by family, classmates, and co-workers, and it also opened the door to my incessant consumption of science-fiction and fantasy novels.
It wasn't until a few years ago when I hospitalized myself for depression since no-one on God's green Earth would hire me for any reason, that I actually had the inspiration to write a novel at all. While hospitalized, I was required to write almost a ream of forms regarding every moment of my life, and when I left I was allowed to take those notes with me. It occurred to me then I could write about my life in a way that would put no one on display, if I found the right framework to do so. The old book became available to do this, and I divided my life experience into 4 completely redesigned public domain main characters for a now completely redesigned story set in the 2015-2020 period. I chose that novel as an homage to its original author, and kept original continuity where I could.

Me: Interesting! It's great you were able to turn your troubles into something you can be proud of. :-) What are you working on now?

Andrew: The sequel. I'm thinking of calling it Alouette's Dream. It will be set a generation later, here the first child born off-world will be fighting to keep alive the dream her parents had won for all humanity.

Me: Awesome! :-) What authors, or books have influenced you?

Andrew: Which ones haven't? I've had a lifetime to read books by various authors. I believe Piers Anthony, Jacqueline Carey, Catherine Asaro, Mike Moscoe, Robert Heinlein, Wendy & Richard Pini, and C. S. Lewis would all do for starters. I'm very much also influenced by the entire Yamato mythos, first created in the 1970. I also enjoy Sailor Moon, and (just because my daughter addicted me to it) My Little Pony.

Me: Wow! Eclectic tastes! :-) What are you reading now?

Andrew: Mostly the novels of other people requesting reviews. My family lives on my SSDI and so I cannot afford to actually buy novels at a bookstore anymore.

Me: I hear you there! For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?

Andrew: To laugh. To cry. Maybe even to think. To the old-timers out there, to give my re-imagination of a novel I'm paying home to, a decent chance, to listen with an open mind the story being re-told in its own different way and by its different point of view, not unlike the way Battlestar Galactica was re-imagined into BSG.

Me: That was an interesting take on a classic Sci-Fi story. :-) What is your favorite part of being an author?

Andrew: Creating characters and making them come alive to live, breathe, and love.

Me: Yes, that's a lot of fun! :-) Do you have a day job as well?

Andrew: Being an author is just a one-to-two hour hobby. My real job is keeping house, cook, clean, fold laundry, and do chores around the house and the garden.

Me: Cool! What is the hardest and easiest part about being a writer?

Andrew: I think the hardest part of being a writer is figuring out how to get myself out of the corner I've painted myself into sometimes. When that happens, writing becomes a virtual act of will, I have to leave the work alone for days. The easiest part of writing is how frequently it occurs that I happen to write wrongs on my keyboard.

Me: Ha! Yeah, that happens. ;-) What genre do you place your book in?

Andrew: YA/NA Speculative Fiction

Me: Wonderful! :-) Is there anything else you'd like to tell your readers?

Andrew: I began my adulthood at 16 as a result of graduating high school early. I have two teenagers at 16 and 17 accelerated into college who begin relationships soon after they become legally emancipated minors. I consider that status as morally equal to adulthood. It's the one exception that those who consider New Adult fiction as appropriate only to 18 and over people seldom consider. That said, nothing said in the novel is explicit, most everything depicted is indirect and metaphorical. What happens is meant for the sake of character development and nothing more.

Me: Interesting perspective. :-) Are there any links you'd like me to post?

Andrew:
www.facebook.com/alouettesong
www.pinterest.com/iamextremelyuse
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V0YQPWC
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25204382-alouette-s-song-adventure-cover
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alouettes-song-andrew-jonathan-fine/1119344642


No comments:

Post a Comment